Monday, May 6, 2024

What is it like to take point position in a formation? Do soldiers dread this role?

What is it like to take point position in a formation? Do soldiers dread this role?



Nobody likes to walk point. The point man is at the head of a patrol in enemy territory and is usually the first soldier to get shot at.

I remember the first time I was told to walk point: our battalion conducted a search and destroy operation in the Bosnian mountains and just one minute before my platoon would march into enemy territory, my commander walked up to me and said: “Is it okay for you to walk point? Now?” That came as a surprise.

 Only two days earlier, a soldier of our company got shot in the stomach while walking point. Now it was my turn!

I could have said no, but to be honest, I also felt honored that my commander came to me and not to somebody else. Not every soldier is able to make a good point man: A US Army infantry point man in Vietnam

A point man has to be very perceptive and must be able to spot an often well camouflaged enemy. He must know how to detect landmines and have an eye for possible ambush situations. 

At the same time he must be quick and not slow down his unit’s movements, an impossible task!

Everything went well, we were chasing the enemy and we decided that I would continue to walk point for the rest of the operation. Once I got used to my new job I was quite thrilled.

Soldiers rarely volunteer for any combat related activity and this is especially true for the point man position. 

When your commander asks you to walk point you neither say “yes” nor “no”. You simply clench your teeth and do the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The conditions in the camps were inhumane, and women were often subjected to forced labor, starvation, and medical experiments.

The conditions in the camps were inhumane, and women were often subjected to forced labor, starvation, and medical experiments. Women were t...